CONSTRUCTION FULLY RESTORED WITH ITS ORIGINAL STRUCTURE FROM 1846 USING REFERENCES FROM HISTORICAL RESEARCH AND INTERVIEWS.
The original headquarters of Fazenda Bananal was at the top of the Farm, near the original route that linked the coast with the countryside.
In 1846, the Estrada Real path was redone, which led to a change in the location of the farm headquarters from “Bananal de Cima” to “Bananal de baixo” – the location of the restored historic house, which was a support point for the Muleteers to stock up on provisions and purchase products and, often, slaves.
The restoration and conservation project at the current headquarters of Fazenda Bananal was carried out in compliance with IPHAN criteria and was based on references from historical research and interviews, which ensured the reconstruction of the building according to its original characteristics, preserving its historical and architectural interest.
The headquarters, reminiscent of the old farms of the colonial period, is a characteristic small-scale sugar mill, with a nearby watercourse that supplies the mill and is its main source of energy.
The Farmhouse has an alcove, circulation area, living room and kitchen. The property has a large roof, without an underlay, characteristic of the time, and this roof is supported by stone pillars – present in both the support structure and the ground floor.
This is an example of the original construction methods, elevating the house itself from the ground, providing robust support, preventing infiltrations in the house and protecting the wattle and daub walls from the humidity of the region.